Kogi Speaker Escapes Death as Police Escort Dies in Motor Accident

04 Jan 2013

Views: 14,382

Font Size: a / A

211112F4.Idris-Wada.jpg - 211112F4.Idris-Wada.jpg

Kogi State Governor, Idris Wada

Patrick Ugeh  and Matthew Onah

Barely one week after the convoy of Kogi State Governor, Idris Wada, was involved in a motor accident, which claimed the life of his Aide-de-Camp (ADC), the convoy of the Speaker of the state House of Assembly, Hon.  Mommoh Jimoh Lawal, was on January 2 involved in a motor accident along Okene-Lokoja road, leaving his police escort, Constable Akeem Lamidi, dead.

This, however, came on a day Wada’s Senior Assistant on Media and Strategy, Mr. Jacob Edi, dismissed a media report that the governor had resumed work, after being discharged from hospital.

But sources yesterday, said the Speaker prior to the accident,
was returning from Okene, when the police escort vehicle, a Toyota Hilux van, in which Lamidi and others were travelling collided with a truck.

It was also gathered that Lamidi, who hails from Erin Ile in Oyun local government area of Kwara State was rushed to the Federal Medical Centre (FMC) in Lokoja for treatment, where he eventually died.

However, the Chief Press Secretary (CPS) to the Speaker, Mr. Austin Akubo, confirmed that Lamidi died yesterday morning at Federal Medical Centre.
He pointed out that it was not the Speaker’s vehicle that got involved in the crash, but that of the police escort who died.

“The Speaker’s vehicle is not affected. He is hale and hearty. The Speaker,  was ready to take him to the best hospital in Nigeria for the best medication. But unfortunately, he gave up the ghost this morning. However, his remains have been taken to his home town in Erin Ile, Kwara State for burial today (yesterday),” he said.

The governor was involved in a ghastly motor accident on December 28, 2012 where his ADC died on the spot.

Meanwhile, Edi, while confirming in a telephone interview with THISDAY  that Wada was still in Abuja, stated that there was no reason for Wada to rush back to work.

The governor, who was involved in a ghastly car accident last Friday and admitted at Cedar Crest Hospital, Garki 2, Abuja, where his fractured femur was operated upon, left the private health facility on Tuesday morning.

His doctor, Dr. Felix Ogedengbe, who is also the Chief Medical Director of the hospital, had certified Wada fit, and discharged him on the understanding that he could recuperate fully at home for the broken thigh bone to heal completely.

According to Ogedengbe, Wada was given the kind of treatment that would enable him move around but that the full healing of the fracture would take about six months.

But a newspaper reported that the governor had resumed work at Government House, Lokoja, barely a day later.

“There was no haste about leaving the hospital or about resuming work,” Edi told THISDAY yesterday stating that everything about His Excellency’s admission and discharge was based on this doctor’s advice. He has not resumed work.” 

Noting that the publication was the handiwork of a lazy journalist, who based his report on a statement issued by politicians.
“His Excellency is still in Abuja recuperating based on the doctor’s advice, and there is no truth whatsoever that he has returned to Government House, Lokoja, to resume work,” Edi emphasised.

Tags: News, Nigeria, Featured, Kogi, Death, Police escort, Motor Accident

Comments: 0


Add your comment

Please leave your comment below. Your name will appear next to your comment. We'll also keep you updated by email whenever someone else comments on this page. Your comment will appear on this page once it has been approved by a moderator.

comments powered by Disqus