Kenya police at the scene of a previous attack
A man was killed when the bomb he was apparently trying to assemble near a Kenyan primary school before it hosted a presidential candidate's rally exploded, police said on Sunday.
Residents heard a blast late on Saturday night in the eastern frontier town of Garissa but police said they only identified the site of the explosion caused by an improvised explosive device (IED) at a primary school field on Sunday, reports Reuters.
Martha Karua, the only female presidential candidate in the March 4 vote and among the lower-ranked contenders according to most polls, had been expected to speak at the grounds on Sunday afternoon, regional police chief Charlton Mureithi said.
"Our initial assessment reveals the man was trying to set up an IED near the dais, but killed himself as the device exploded on him, ripping his body into pieces," Mureithi told reporters.
The open field also lies next to an army camp in a town used as a support base for Kenya's military mission in Somalia.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the intended attack, police said.
Karua kept her date with her supporters in the town but spoke from a different venue.
"I would have loved to hold this gathering in the open place where terrorists planted explosives last night," she told a crowd, pledging to improve security if elected.
Kenya has experienced a spate of violent attacks, mostly in the capital and close to the Somali border, since it sent soldiers into its anarchic neighbour in October 2011 to drive out al Shabaab Islamist rebels linked to al Qaeda.
The rebels have promised to retaliate and have launched grenade and gun attacks that have raised concerns over how secure the country is heading into the March 4 national elections, the first since tribal fighting killed about 1,200 people following a disputed presidential vote in 2007.
17TH FEB 2013…
NFF: We Never Planned To Sack Keshi
CAPTION: Super Eagles coach, Stephen Keshi (photo file)
The Nigeria Football Federation has dismissed insinuations in sections of the media that it planned to sack Super Eagles’ Head Coach, Stephen Keshi at the Africa Cup of Nations in South Africa.
Chairman of the NFF Media and Publicity Committee, Chief Emeka Inyama said at the weekend that the Federation had not bothered to dignify the insinuations with any response before now as it considered those rumours to be of such low quality undeserving of any attention.
“If an employer sits down with an employee to review performance, with focus on better output, that does not amount to threat of sack. In the civilized world, that happens every other day.
“The NFF never planned to sack Keshi as the Head Coach or the entire technical crew in its entirety. The Executive Committee is made up of decent and responsible Nigerians and we have respect for our employees and their contracts.”
Inyama lamented the desperation by some persons to discredit the NFF after the team had emerged triumphant in South Africa.
“We do not have anything against people jumping on the train of success after the Super Eagles became champions of Africa. Success has many fathers (and mothers). But it is uncharitable to try and take anything away from the Federation that worked day and night to achieve the success.
“The NFF employed Stephen Keshi in the first place, gave him the motivation and incentives, and arranged friendly matches against Botswana, Zambia, Angola, Liberia, Egypt, Peru, Niger, Venezuela, Catalonia, Cape Verde and some European clubs to give the boys necessary exposure and turf courage. We got the team to Portugal for final training camp before receiving part of the money approved for the competition.
“We paid the coaches the salaries owed them before the tournament, and till end of January. That does not show an employer that wants to dispense with an employee.”
Inyama wondered why some persons are suddenly desperate to take some credit away from the NFF for the triumph.
“The truth is that if the team had failed, it would have been the NFF’s neck on the chopping block. Now that it has succeeded, people are clawing at just anything to try and discredit the NFF. This is not only unfair, it is unacceptable.”
Inyama insisted that the NFF had already put the triumph behind it and is focusing hard on the challenges ahead, including the FIFA World Cup qualifiers and the FIFA Confederations Cup in Brazil in June.
“We have so much to look forward to and plan for. The match against Kenya is next month and then the other National Teams have continental and global competitions ahead. We have the measure of all these and by God’s grace, we’ll win several more trophies for Nigeria this year and the next.”
Meanwhile, NFF President, Alhaji Aminu Maigari has praised the Executive Governors of Delta and Lagos States, as well as corporate partners Globacom, Guinness and Cadbury Nigeria Plc for their tremendous show of love to the Super Eagles after the team’s triumph at the 29th Africa Cup of Nations in South Africa.
Globacom chairman, Dr. Mike Adenuga Jnr has offered cars and house to Head Coach Stephen Keshi, while Guinness Nigeria Plc and Cadbury Nigeria Plc hosted the team in Lagos at the weekend, ‘spoiling’ them with gifts.
Also, Delta State Governor Emmanuel Uduaghan and Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos have provided cash and material rewards, with Governor Uduaghan offering to build a house for Coach Keshi, CON in Delta State.
“We really appreciate these very kind gestures from the sports-loving Governors of Delta and Lagos States, and Globacom, Guinness and Cadbury. They have done so well for the players and coaches and we commend them greatly.
“These Governors and the corporate bodies have stuck with the NFF and the Super Eagles through thick and thin, and their gestures now have shown them to be friends-for-ever,” said Maigari.