President Goodluck Jonathan
•New terrorist group claims responsibility
By Muhammad Bello, with agency reports
President Goodluck Jonathan Monday ordered security agencies to take all necessary action to locate and rescue seven foreign construction workers who were abducted from their camp by a terrorist group in Bauchi State.
Jonathan, who commiserated with the family of the guard who was reportedly killed during the attack on Jamaáre, Bauchi State, wherein the foreigners were kidnapped, assured the relatives of the foreigners as well as the governments of their countries that the Federal Government and its security agencies would do everything possible to find their abductors and ensure the safe release of all those abducted.
An Islamist group, Ansaru, Monday claimed responsibility for the kidnapping of the seven workers.
The president, in a statement by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Dr. Reuben Abati, condemned the abduction of the workers and reaffirmed the Federal Government’s total commitment to stamping out terrorism and kidnapping in the country.
He urged all Nigerians and foreigners in the country to continue to go about their normal businesses with the full assurance that the government and the national security agencies were working tirelessly to curb threats to security in all parts of the country.
The attack in Bauchi State last Saturday was one of the worst incidents targeting foreigners in northern Nigeria, a region that has seen waves of violence by extremist Islamist groups, but relatively few kidnappings.
Ansaru is considered a new group with a rising profile after it claimed responsibility for the abduction of a French national in December 2012.
Some view it as being directly linked to Boko Haram, the Islamist insurgency group blamed for the killing of about two thousand people in northern Nigeria since 2009.
In an email statement sent to journalists, Ansaru said it was in “the custody of seven persons, which include Lebanese and their European counterparts working with Setraco,” the Lebanese-owned company targeted in the attack.
Police in Bauchi said four Lebanese, one Briton, a Greek citizen and an Italian were among those taken hostage by gunmen who stormed the site in the town of Jama’are. The assailants shot dead a security guard.
Ansaru’s two-paragraph statement cited “the transgressions and atrocities done to the religion of Allah… by the European countries in many places such as Afghanistan and Mali”.
The group previously listed French support for the military offensive against Islamist rebels in Mali as a justification for the December kidnapping.
The document was written in English, like some past statements. However, others have been written in Hausa, a language used widely across West Africa.
Residents in Jama’are said Setraco had evacuated all of its members of staff from the company's compound on Sunday and a company spokesman told AFP its road project had been stopped.
“There is no way we will continue to work there because the lives of our colleagues are in danger,” John Ogbamgba said Monday. “We are all in tears.”
There were separate attacks on a police station and a prison in Jama’are before the abductions, but no deaths were reported.
The kidnapping of expatriates has typically occurred in Nigeria’s oil-rich south, with the hostages released following a ransom payment.
But such incidents in the North have been isolated and some analysts fear that Ansaru’s emergence may be a sign of changing tactics among the Islamist groups operating in northern Nigeria.
The Setraco spokesman said the firm was particularly worried by the location of the abductions, noting that if the attack had occurred in the south, “maybe there would be a ransom demand.”
In the north, however, “you don’t get information,” Ogbamgba said.
Aside from the French national kidnapped in December whose whereabouts remain unknown, the three other Westerners kidnapped in the north since 2011 have all been killed.
They include a German engineer abducted last year as well as a Briton and an Italian seized in 2011, in an attack the British government linked to Ansaru.
In November, Britain declared the group a terrorist organisation.
Some experts say that Ansaru’s leader may be Khalid al-Barnawi, one of the three Nigerian extremists labelled a “global terrorist” by the United States last year.
The State Department described al-Barnawi as tied to Boko Haram, “with close links to Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb,” Al-Qaeda’s North Africa branch.
The governments of Greece and Italy have confirmed that their citizens were among those taken hostage. Beirut has acknowledged that two Lebanese nationals were seized, but has not matched the police figure of four.
Meanwhile, British Foreign Secretary, William Hague said Monday that London was in touch with the Nigerian authorities following the reports that a Briton was among the seven workers kidnapped.