Some of the arms recovered in the first operation
SSS gets court order to remand Lebanese businessmen
By Tobi Soniyi and Ibrahim Shuaibu
The Nigerian Army and State Security Service (SSS) Wednesday disclosed that they had uncovered another cache of arms and ammunition at a bunker in a master bedroom at No 3 Gaya Road, Bompai in Kano, which is the residence of a Lebanese national who is out of the country.
The weapons were discovered on Tuesday night following a tip-off.
In a statement by the army spokesman in Kano, Captain Ikedichi Iweha, he revealed that a large quantity of assorted weapons, which were properly wrapped, was recovered.
“After a further search of the property, a cooler was recovered buried under the wardrobe which had in it, 80 indicators, five PPK pistols, and 334 rounds of 7.62mm special.
“Other weapons discovered include nine magazines, four pistol silencers, 18 caps of 36 hand grenade caps, four explosive fuses and two explosive devices,” he said.
Iweha further recalled that on May 28, a combined team of the SSS and the 3 Brigade of the Nigerian Army conducted a thorough search of a house located at the same address, belonging to one Abdul Hassan Taher Fadlalla, a Lebanese national, who was out of the country.
The security personnel had linked the recovered weapons to a cell of Hezbollah, an international terrorist organisation.
They said they would continue to count on the support and cooperation of the people of Kano in the effective discharge of their duties and pledged their utmost in ensuring that peace and an atmosphere suitable for business continues to prevail.
In a related development, in order to carry out a thorough investigation of the roles of suspects in the terrorist attacks in parts of the north, the SSS Wednesday obtained a court order to detain four Lebanese: Mustapha Reda Darwish Fawaz, Talal Roda, Abdulla Tahini and Hussain Nurudeen Kossdi, who were arrested last week in connection with the arms cache discovered in Kano.
Though the suspects were taken before a Chief Magistrates’ Court in Karu, details of the court's proceedings were sketchy.
But it was confirmed that the Chief Magistrate, Muyiwa Oyeyipo, ordered that the suspects be remanded in the SSS custody. He adjourned the case till June 19.