Iran insists its nuclear programme is for purely peaceful purposes
Six major world powers and Iran are to hold fresh talks on Tehran's nuclear programme, the EU has said.
EU Foreign Policy chief, Catherine Ashton said she had replied to a letter from Iran on behalf of the five UN Security Council members plus Germany, reports the BBC.
Iranian negotiator, Saeed Jalili sent the letter last month proposing talks. No date or venue has been set.
The move comes amid fresh speculation of a pre-emptive military strike against Iran's nuclear facilities.
Iran insists there is no military element to its programme but Western powers fear it is constructing nuclear weapons.
The statement from Baroness Ashton said the EU hoped that Iran would "now enter into a sustained process of constructive dialogue which will deliver real progress in resolving the international community's long-standing concerns on its nuclear programme."
Iran had earlier said it was prepared under certain conditions to grant inspectors from the UN's International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) access to the key military site of Parchin.
Talks between the EU and Iran on the nuclear issue have been off and on for a number of years, with the last round ending in failure in January last year.
On Monday, Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu, on a visit to the US, said time was running out to put a stop to Iran's nuclear programme, warning Israel would "not live in the shadow of annihilation".