Kano Boko Haram attack
In the wake of the horrific Boko Haram terrorist attacks in Kano, France has mobilised to assist the victims by delivering 600 kg of medical assistance which will make it possible to treat those injured during the violence.
"The medical assistance which arrived yesterday in Kano will go to these public hospitals so that follow-up care can be provided to 200 injured people, suffering in particular from bullet wounds, open fractures and burns. We reaffirm France's commitment to the fight against terrorism and our solidarity with Nigeria in the face of this terrible ordeal. This was the message conveyed by the Ministre d'Etat during his visit to Kano in November," said a statement from the French embassy Friday.
The terrorist attacks on January 20 in the city of Kano killed 200 people and injured several hundred people who were evacuated to local public and private health facilities. Since then, smaller-scale attacks have continued to strike this town on a daily basis. According to information provided by Kano State Government's Health Minister, more than 200 injured people are currently hospitalised in state-owned hospitals.
Meanwhile, the former Commissioner of Police, Lawrence Alobi Friday in Abuja urged members of the Boko Haram Sect to be magnanimous in dialoguing with the federal government, stating that, members of the sect must also be sincere in embracing peace for national interest as well as finding lasting solution to the crisis.
According to Alobi, though, many consider government's intention to dialogue with the sect as "legitimizing an illegality, We should see it as a veritable platform for peace. He said government should therefore be magnanimous, "while the Boko Haram members should be sincere."