Rio (R) shakes the hand of his younger brother, Anton Ferdinand
Rio and Anton Ferdinand have criticised the Football Association and the Professional Footballers' Association over the John Terry race row.
But the brothers insist they will work with football's existing organisations in an effort to stamp out racism.
Chelsea's Terry, 31, accepted a four-match ban after being found guilty of racially abusing QPR defender Anton in a Premier League match last October, reports the BBC.
Talks have started over a breakaway players' union led by black players.
Several leading Premier League players, including the Ferdinand brothers, refused to wear T-shirts supporting the anti-racism group Kick It Out at the weekend over a perceived lack of action.
A statement issued by Anton, 27, and Manchester United defender Rio, 33, on Wednesday said: "It has been a year since the incident at Loftus Road. During that time, some of the deep divisions that exist in football have been exposed.
"In the coming months there will be ongoing discussions, we are sure, on finding a way forward. We intend to participate in these discussions, along with numerous other current and ex-professionals of all races, from the grassroots upwards, across the football community as a whole.
"On the issue of Kick It Out, we would like to go on record to say what fantastic work they have done in the past regarding education and awareness.
"However, times change and organisations need to change with them. We are more than happy to join the discussion, privately, to make Kick It Out more relevant in its fight to stamp out racism in football.
"Although we have been left disappointed by the PFA and the FA's actions over the last year, as a family, we are committed to working with football's existing organisations towards the betterment of the game and to achieve immediate action."
The Ferdinands' statement came hours after the PFA issued a six-point action plan to deal with the problem.
Gordon Taylor, chief executive of PFA, told the BBC he "welcomes" the players' statement. "We'll be very happy to involve them in the process of talks," he added.
Kick It Out welcomed the Ferdinands' statement and added: "We know and recognise the hurt that many people have gone through over the last 12 months, none more so than the Ferdinand family themselves.