Articles

Contract Workers Not Sacked, Says Chevron

04 Dec 2012

Views: 879

Font Size: a / A

310112T.chevron-headquarters.jpg - 310112T.chevron-headquarters.jpg

Chevron office

Chineme Okafor  

Chevron Nigeria Limited (CNL), operator of the NNPC/Chevron Joint Venture said it has not asked any of its labour contractors to release workers.

The General Manager, Policy Government and Public Affairs (PGPA), Mr. Deji Haastrup, said this clarification become necessary in view of recent reports by some suggesting that a number of workers had been sacked.

According to Haastrup, “six existing labour contracts will be expiring on December 31, 2012 and new contracts will commence immediately after. The transition, he added, would not lead to redundancy.

Haastrup further explained that the tender process had gone through all the appropriate phases and that NAPIMS had approved and directed the award of contracts to the successful bidders, commencing on January 1, 2013.

The CNL Director, Human Resources and Medical, Mrs. Ihuoma Onyearugha, confirmed that “all workers will have the opportunity to work for the new contract companies, unless they choose to retire with accrued benefits.”

“CNL is engaging with all stakeholders, including the National Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers (NUPENG), NNPC and the Ministry of Labor to find a lasting solution to the on-going industrial action. CNL reiterates that the safety and security of its workforce, employees and contractors alike, remain its highest priority”, the statement added.

Tags: Business, Nigeria, Featured, Contract Workers, Chevron

Comments: 0

Rating: 

 (0)
Add your comment

Please leave your comment below. Your name will appear next to your comment. We'll also keep you updated by email whenever someone else comments on this page. Your comment will appear on this page once it has been approved by a moderator.

comments powered by Disqus