Golf oil clean up
BP is planning to resume drilling in the Gulf of Mexico, a year after one of its wells exploded, causing a devastating oil spill, reports Sky News.
The energy company has been negotiating with US regulators to restart deepwater drilling on 10 wells in the Gulf by the summer.
The Sunday Times are now reporting that this deal has now been struck.
However, the move is likely to fuel public anger, as it comes a year after the Deepwater Horizon explosion that sparked the worst oil spill in US history and killed 11 workers.
The April 20 blast leaked millions of gallons of oil from the well into the sea before finally being capped in July.
BP have spent around $41bn (£25.4bn) on cleaning up the devastation and paying damages.
Last week, it was reported US prosecutors are still considering pursuing manslaughter charges against BP managers.
They are examining statements made by the bosses of the oil giant, including its former Chief Executive, Tony Hayward, during congressional hearings last year.
BP said it had provided very detailed plans and pledged to meet very strict safety standards as part of negotiations to resume drilling.
It has also reportedly agreed to allow 24-hour access to the US government as part of the deal.
A source close to the company said: "BP is hoping to resume drilling in the summer once it shows it can satisfy applicable regulatory conditions, as set out by the US offshore regulator."
However, permission has only be granted to allow BP to maintain or increase production on existing wells and does not cover exploration.
Whilst the news to resume drilling in the Gulf will outrage environmentalists, it will be a welcome development for the embattled oil firm.
The company is still reeling after a Swedish tribunal last month ruled a £10bn deal between BP and Russia's Rosneft should be put on hold because of a dispute with shareholders at Russian partner TNK-BP.
It has put the group's shares under pressure and led to doubts over chief executive Bob Dudley, who replaced Hayward.