The scene of the bomb blast
From Ibrahim Shuaibu in Kano and Onyebuchi Ezigbo in Abuja
Two suicide bombers were yesterday killed in Kano by their own bombs while trying to bomb Airtel and MTN facilities in two separate incidents.
A suicide bomber was said to have forced his way into the premises of the Airtel office located at Malam Kato square in Kano metropolis in the wee hours on Saturday as there was nobody in the premises apart from the watchman who were injured by the blast.
It was also learnt that minutes after the heavy blast at the telecommunication office at Malam Kato square, another bomber also missed target and hit a pole at MTN mast in Maimalari road of Bompai Kano, and the bomber was killed by his own explosive.
According to sources, suicide bomber hit the office at about 8 am and damaged the telecommunication’s outfit reception, as well as three vehicles parked at the premises.
The Spokesman of Joint security Task force (JTF) Captain Ikedichi Iweha confirmed the incidents that “ the two suicide bombers were known to have lost their lives in the two incidents while a watchman of the telecoms company sustained injury “.
Captain Iweha explained that officers of the Joint Task Force (JTF) have cordoned off the area, and no civilians were killed during the blast as it affected the suicide bomber alone.
The JTF spokesman disclosed the that operatives of the task force are in firm control of the situation, adding that everybody is going about his business without problem.
Meanwhile, the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) saturday confirmed the coordinated attacks by suicide bombers at facilities of two telecom operators in separate locations in Kano Municipality.
The agency's Head of Public Relations, Mr. Yushau A. Shuaib said in a statement that the bombers targeted the Airtel office around Mallam Kato Square old Parade Ground of Unknown Soldiers and MTN facility opposite Floor Mill, Malali Road Kano.
He said NEMA has mobilised response agencies to the scene of the early morning explosions and that security was being beefed up in the state.
" NEMA has confirmed attacks ontelecommunication masts belonging to Airtel and MTN at Old Parade Ground and Malali respectively in Kano municipality today. Secunity have cordoned off the area, " he said.
According to the statement, no human causality has been recorded by the incident so far.
NEMA said the attacks took place early in the morning when two suicide bombers hit at two targets, the Airtel office around the old Parade Ground of Unknown Soldiers popularly known as Mallam Kato Square and MTN facility opposite Floor Mill, Malali Road Kano.
A statement by General Manager, Corporate Affairs, MTN Nigeria, Funmi Omogbenigun last night confirmed the attack but she said the appropriate security agencies have been informed of the development.
She said “There was an attempted attack at our Switch in Kano by a car laden with IED. There was an explosion at the gate. There were no fatalities on the part of MTN security operatives or employees.
The appropriate security agencies have been informed and we are receiving the usual co operation.”
Meanwhile, THISDAY could not get the reaction of Airtel management as the time of going to the press.